Sunday, December 23, 2007

Mountain Biking /Skiing / and time with Michael

Derek went on a ski trip this week with Alethia (his church youth group). They went up on Wednesday and came home yesterday, giving him two full days and evenings to ski. They went to Winter Place in Beckley, West Virginia.


This picture is not indicative of the temperature it is as his Grandfather would say demonstrating he has not quite reached the top of Fool's Hill. Not sure if it was a dare or what but he and another boy skied down with no shirts. Derek made it without falling the other boy was not so lucky. He apparently had someone carry his Jacket down -- meaning at least he did not ride the lift up like this.



Michael and I covered over 40 miles in the woods in two days of riding. It was nice to ride with him as he rides a very similar style to myself. Not that... that should surprise you as I taught him from a pretty young age how to mountain bike.

When he was young I used to bribe him with nickles. Telling him if you can make it over an obstacle without touching your feet to the ground (dabbing) I will give you a nickle. It took me a while to realize he was playing me by acting nervous.

Now I have to plead with him not to do certain obstacles because they are too scary for me to watch. This led to some interesting business discussions while riding we talked about the "cost-benefit" principle.

As we ride we try to take time time to both notice and enjoy some of the sights. I am not sure of the story behind this mask but it matched Michaels Greatful dead jersey so we stopped for a photo.


Staying in line with the photo though the bike frame I did much of this summers cross country ride here is a banana spider and her web shot through Mike's Specialized S Works Epic frame

A short video showing a loopy section of a trail called John Brown at Santos


Finally a picture of Michael coming out of a cave that boarders the trail called Cowbone. I am not sure how deep it goes but it is deep.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

No comments: