Saturday, January 12, 2008

January Basketball and preparation

We had three basketball games this week- two away and one home game...All three were victories and their record advanced to 11 wins and 1 loss. In last nights game Derek scored 7 points. Here is a video clip of last nights warm up and jump ball which Derek controlled.

Two of the guys that make Forest High School basketball fun are Coach Waters and "Coach" Floyd.

Coach Waters has been Derek's Coach for two years. He is an even tempered man who cares about the guys on his team. It has worked the guys play hard for him and the record speaks for itself.

"Coach" Floyd is a fixture at Forest High School, he graduated in 1977. He runs the clock for the team. I keep the score book so we work every home game side by side. His smile and positive attitude are contagious.



Training continues for the Ididaride continues. The 50 mile off road race is less than a week away. Today I did the last long ride prior to the event. I did a 43 mile ride off road.
Most of the time when I train I ride alone, primarily due to schedule and daylight availability. So a few years ago I added Gumby to the front of my bike so I could smile and tell Bernice I was not riding alone. (she knows and I do carry my phone in case of emergency).





Today's ride was with my neighbor and friend John who will be riding the Ididaride next week as well.

We had a good time negotiating the obstacles along today's route. Some of them provided us with opportunity to laugh. Next Saturday we will negotiate logs, bumps, dips and stream crossings.
It is only a bike ride and there are so many things to be thankful for. I wanted to mention some of them before a brief bit of levity. I am thankful for my wife of 27 years and both boys,for our health and the way God blesses us. I am thankful for friends both near and far and the way they help us grow. To Jeff, Tim, Tim, Cullie, Tom Harper,Bruce, Gary and Bob thanks for your friendship.

Don't send a lame Holiday eCard. Try JibJab Sendables!

2 comments:

Jen and Brett said...

Hi guys!!! Congratulations to Mike on his engagement please...also, please tell Derek he is quite the BB player. Glad you guys are doing so well. I love your blog!

Jeff said...

Mike,

Good to talk to you yesterday, congratulation on your great ride and finish. Gumby must be a good training partner! The jibjab finale waw pretty funny. We have had some snow, but I haven't thrown a snowball yet. I think if I do it had better NOT be towards my wonderful wife! I need a kid around.

Jeff