Thursday, May 06, 2010

Motorcycling in the Mountains

Since I am not traveling by bicycle on this trip I can not use my normal Crazy guy on a Bike site so.... I am back at Blogspot for this one.

This blog will chronicle a short 5 day trip to the Mountains of North Georgia. Due to the folks I am riding with there will not be as many pictures as I would normally take due to the fact we ride and do not stop a great deal for photo opportunities.

I will introduce the folks as the trip goes on and I get a picture of each of them. So....on with the report:

I left Ocala on Wed morning May 5th about 7:15 am ; I am riding my Yamaha FZ6 and had it loaded down with saddle bags, tail bag and a tank bag. About 1 mile from my house it started to pour rain from the heavans--- Argh. When it came it just was like Bang -RAIN ON-- so I did not stop for rain gear and luckily it only rained for about 5 minutes.... then nothing. Since I was wearing mesh riding gear and it was a nice pleasant morning I dried out in short order.

Riding through Ocala I made my way to I-75 for a quick 85 mile jaunt to Lake City, FL where I was to meet up with some of the crew. We found each other and I loaded my bike into the 20 foot plus enclosed trailer and off we went.

Our destination was just outside of Helen Georgia. We had rented a house there and it is much easier to ride in the back of a big Ford Excursion watching movies than ride up the long straight roads of Georgia till you get to the moutnains which are in the top of the state. We found the house and it is nice.

It is an all wood 3 story log cabin chalet. We found it on vacation rental by owner. Very nice digs and the price is wonderful. My share is $40 a night. I will post some pics of the cabin latter today. Once we were setteled into our rooms we had unloaded the bikes and it was almost 6pm. So 4 of us suited up and went for a short ride.

We looped up and over Blood Mountain then down to GA180 where hung a left and twisted our way up Wolfpen gap. This road folds its way up the mountain oft times snaking back over itself as it ascends to just over 3000 feet. Once up to the top we turned and headed back down. We do not have twisty roads in Florida and this was a blast.

Hopping back on 129 we went down to the Russell Scenic Highway and climbed up and over Hogpen gap another twisty climb and on the back side descent. Near the top we saw aroad closed sign--we decided to go around it and see if we could get over. Luckily it was in fine shape and the repair to the road was neaer completion so we safely made it over. We returned with about 50 miles of twisties just before sunset.

After some pizza we went down to the "gameroom" and played some ping pong and pool before heading to bed for a restful nights sleep.

Pics to be added later--stay tuned.

No comments: